Our Unique Approach to Integrative Medicine
At Acu-ease, our health providers bring together multiple complementing disciplines to create a new entity of health service. More inclusivity rather than exclusivity is paramount, whilst retaining critical thinking and discernment of evidence based tools, resources and practices geared towards health.
Integrative Medicine is healing-oriented medicine, incorporating all aspects of life. It brings together a comprehensive and considerate framework for whole body medicine, utilising traditional and modern practices that honour the healing process.
Integrative Medicine returns responsibility of care back to the rightful owner, the patient, giving rise to a renewed sense of empowerment in achieving personal wellbeing. Our healthcare providers are educators, teachers and supporters to their patients. Our role is to help remove the barriers that interfere with the body’s ability to heal, and provide what the body needs to restore optimal health. Balance between a patient’s environment and their physiology is the key to restoring health.
All aspects of health and healing are valued and welcomed into the treatment space.
What is Functional Medicine
Functional Medicine uses clinical investigation to address the underlying root cause of disease, and identify and restore health to each individual.
With evolved research in nutritional science, neuroscience, and the study of genetics - Functional Medicine utilises these advances in healthcare to provide low risk interventions that modify molecular and cellular biology and reverse the drivers of disease.
Despite previous understandings, we are now more aware disease does not have a fixed determination. If an individual is given the correct environment for cellular and DNA repair then a reversal of illness can occur. It is the genetic expression (epigenetics) rather than the genetic inheritance that is the greater influential force in the emergence of disease and disorder.
Health is an inter-relationship of several body systems and can be influenced by environmental factors, lifestyle, diet, toxin exposures and physical or emotional stress. These stressors create mutations in DNA and cellular impairment. Functional medicine directly addresses these modulators of health - inflammation, infection, energy production to promote healthy gene expression, and restore functions underpinning disease.
Applying these principles has allowed individuals to successfully recover from resistant or lifelong conditions that remain previously unsuccessfully treated.
Functional Medicine uses non-invasive treatment protocols with little to no risk of harm from adverse reactions. Hence all ages and all health conditions can be assessed under this framework.
The Functional Medicine Framework
Functional Medicine takes into consideration a person’s health history, genetic history, biochemistry and pathophysiology (the effects of an illness on the body), alongside considerations of personal values and beliefs to formulate a plan to treat the whole person, rather than just the symptoms.
The individual is put back in the “driver’s seat” in managing their health. It is an interactive patient engaging framework.
As illustrated in the above image, Functional Medicine investigates different parameters in health and biology to identify the root cause of the visible symptoms of disease.
Disease is diagnosed by presenting symptoms to a Medical Doctor. They will prescribe medication to treat life threatening illness. We encourage all medical conditions be appropriately assessed by a Medical Physician to rule out serious underlying infection or disease.
Functional Medicine is health orientated rather than disease orientated. The framework allows for individualised biochemistry to influence the treatment program. Attention is focussed on preventative, reparative measures.
What can Functional Medicine accomplish?
- Restore body regulatory systems
- Repair signalling systems
- Immune Defence
- Digestion and absorption of nutrients
- Energy production and mitochondrial health
- Reverse cellular damage
- Improve mind-body connection
- Early detection and prevention of disease
- Reduce pain and suffering
- Improve stress and mental clarity
- Slow the aging process
- Restore self-confidence and vitality
Integrative Medicine Practitioners can treat a wide range of conditions.
Treatable conditions include and are not limited to:
- Immune and Autoimmune Conditions - Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Lupus, Allergy
- Chronic Infection - Viral, bacterial, parasitic
- Stress, Anxiety, Fatigue or Burnout
- Skin Health - dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, acne, hives
- Neurological Conditions - Alzheimer’s, ADD, ADHD, Restless leg syndrome
- Metabolic Disorders - Weight management, Diabetes, Fatty Liver Disease
- Gastrointestinal Disorders - Crohns, Ulcerative Colitis, SIBO, IBS, post-infectious IBS, food intolerance
- Thyroid Conditions - Hashimoto’s, Hyperthyroidism, Hypothyroidism
- Cardiovascular Health - stroke, hypertension, cholesterol, heart disease, heart failure
- Pain and Inflammation - Fibromyalgia, arthritis, neuropathic pain, trigeminal neuralgia
- Sleep and Insomnia
- Migraines, Cluster Headaches
- Male Health - sperm health, testosterone, prostate health
- Female Hormonal Health - PCOS, endometriosis, PMS, menopause
- Child Behavioural and Learning Difficulties
- Mineral and Micronutrient Imbalance
- Disease Specific Nutrition